The key to easy landscape maintenance is the design. If you plan your landscaping with easy maintenance in mind, you'll be able to put your feet up and enjoy your summer instead of pruning, planting, weeding, mowing, and sweating under the hot sun. Of course, a beautifully landscaped yard will always require some maintenance, but well-designed landscaping requires far less than haphazard landscaping.
Here are the five steps to creating an award winning landscape design.
1. Consult a professional landscape designer. A professional landscape designer with years of experience will be able to properly lay out a design that is ideal for your individual property. This allows certain types of plants to be used in the appropriate areas where they will receive just the right amount of sunlight and moisture. Often, difficult spots in your landscaping result from putting flower beds or gardens in areas where they just don't thrive. A professional landscape designer can help you avoid this frustrating problem.
2. Use ground cover plants. If you love a lush, green landscape, but you don't like mowing for hours on end, make good use of ground cover plants in your award winning landscape design. In addition to taking the place of time-intensive lawn, ground cover plants are ideal for slopes, where they prevent erosion, and shady areas where grass doesn't grow well anyway. If your landscaping could use a little more color, you can plant ground covers that blossom at various times of the year. This adds another layer to your landscaping and provides seasonal change.
3. Get educated on your plants. A professional landscape designer knows all about which plants thrive best in our climate. He or she can provide you with instructions on how best to care for your plants and make sure they're planted correctly in the first place. Planting the wrong kinds of plants is one of the most time-consuming and frustrating mistakes you can make with your landscape design. A poor choice may lead to years of unnecessary work and maintenance.
4. Include hardscape in your landscape design. Hardscaping features and techniques do more than just add texture, character, and usefulness to your landscape; they also reduce your maintenance. When you include hardscaped patios, walkways, fire pits, walls, and pool decks to your design, you greatly reduce the time you'll have to spend mowing grass or scraping and staining a wood deck. Hardscape features require very little or no future maintenance, and they look great year after year.
5. Prevent and identify problems with your current landscaping. A professional landscape designer can inspect your plants for disease and pest damage. If there are any problems with your plants, the professional can help you solve the problem before it causes long-term damage or spreads to your other plants. This method, of course, saves you from having to face expensive or time-consuming problems ahead. A professional landscape designer can educate you on how to keep your plants looking great all year round.
By following these five steps, you can keep your ongoing landscape to a minimum. An award winning landscape design not only looks great, but it also provides you with an easy-going lifestyle, the kind of lifestyle you'd love to have through the warm months.
Check out our FREE Landscape Idea Book for more information about our award winning landscape designs.